Country Living February issue...

I get Country Living magazine along with Better Homes and Gardens. When did I grow up and stop reading Cosmopolitan? I can't remember. Anyway, I like the decorating ideas in these magazines and they often spark creativity and give me ideas on how to re-do something on the cheap. This issue especially! It's the "Amazing Bargain Issue" and has actual people decorating their houses like I do... with thrift store finds, hand me downs and crap they've made themselves.

Usually I kind of roll my eyes at the prices people pay for light fixtures, kitchen redo's, etc. Everyone and their grandma these days wants and NEEDS granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. I say, why? That crap is going to look dated in a few years just like everything else does. I think some kinds of granite already do look dated, but that's just my opinion.

This magazine this month has a lady who actually has a plywood countertop covered in chalkboard paint and sealed with paste wax. Awesome!! Why should countertops cost thousands of dollars? I just don't understand. Also has a $75 range found at the salvation army. Bet that thing doesn't have electrical issues! I love this kind of creativity and think it should be featured more on TV and in magazines. I think it would help people live within their means instead of dreaming of how they are going to finance a $50,000 kitchen renovation. If that's realistic for you, that's great. But if not, there are so many other options, and I love to see people who do this featured in a fancy magazine. Yay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New name?

Sad little wall.

Tales of an unemployed journalist