Loggy Bench

When we first moved into this house, it was unbelievable the amount of shit that came out of nowhere; donated from friends, parents, family members etc. Somehow everyone thinks that new homeowners are in dire need of their old crap. At first I was welcoming of this stuff, our house was pretty empty. But after a year-and-a-half, most of these "donations" are on their way out. However, once in a while I come upon a use for something. Like these dry-rotted 20-year old redwood deck boards from my parents' house in California. Dad loaded up his car one day and dragged a couple dozen of these beauties almost 200 miles. They have been sleeping under the deck, until now. 
Gratuitous Dewalt sander placement...so pretty.

They actually came in pretty handy, and with my newly found chop-sawing talents, these benches were put together in under an hour! Sure, there are spots in the seat that can be poked through with a finger, but hey-- they're rustic. The spiders have been swiped off, and some of the holes patched with wood putty. Another coat or two of outdoor urethane, and they're sure to last another year. Yay for recycling. And now I have new furniture made from something that I ran around on as a kid at my parents house. I'm a sucker for sentiment!

This one looks onto the front of our house. Good for admiring paint jobs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New name?

Sad little wall.

Tales of an unemployed journalist