"Headboard"


Since the painting project has come to a halt thanks to snow, I'm posting about something else today! Meanwhile our house is literally half old paint, half new paint, and I don't really care. Actually, I am happier about it looking this way than I was before we tore into the project. So what if it stays this way until June.

We dragged this bed across the country with us from Louisville. It's a pretty basic queen, just standing in until we get an awesome king. I always kind of wanted a headboard so the pillows wouldn't get sucked off the head of the bed down to the dusty abyss. But, headboards are a stupid thing to spend money on, I decided, and it would be easy enough to make my own! I tried several methods. One was making a large wooden frame and screwing it on to the metal bed. That worked for about a night. Then I found some old shutters under the deck, cleaned them up and painted them green (sorry, no photo) and attached them to the wall. Very cottag-ey. For my last effort, I used one of these very handy, very clean closet doors that we removed from the third bedroom (now dining room). I painted it, turned it sideways, and screwed it into the wall. Voila! It is actually centered, even though my photo doesn't show it.
Bed with "headboard" and dogs.

Old closet doors

The dogs/models were put on the bed on purpose. Cute! The black one isn't even our dog, but the bed was so lumpy I gave up on making it nice for the picture. The models were happy to oblige and jumped right up there. You'd think they do that all the time.

In person, I think the headboard looks clean, and it can be painted or whatever. I was thinking that if I ever found a place that sold wood veneer, that would be a great project. Just slap on some wood veneer and make it match the cedar chest. Pretty! One of these days Brandon is going to help me build a gigantic king size bed, but there are many, many projects in line first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New name?

Sad little wall.

Tales of an unemployed journalist